Remove this ad

shablon

fanatic

Lead

Mar 8 12 4:42 PM

Tags : :

Explosion kills 6 British troops in Afghanistan

KABUL, Afghanistan — Six British soldiers were believed to be killed when an explosion struck their armored vehicle, marking the biggest loss of life for British forces in Afghanistan in years, officials in London said Wednesday.
The explosion a day earlier in the southern province of Helmand figured to renew calls for an earlier withdrawal from Afghanistan for international forces, which have faced increasing violence as they try to hand security responsibilities to Afghan forces before the end of 2014.
British Prime Minister David Cameron called it a "desperately sad day for our country," which has now lost 404 soldiers in the Afghan war, the highest death toll for a coalition country after the United States, which has lost 1,909 service members, according to the website icasualties.org.
The British defense ministry said in a statement that the soldiers were carrying out a patrol and that they were missing and presumed dead, indicating that coalition forces hadn't yet been able to retrieve the bodies. The BBC reported that initial assessments of the explosion said it had been carried out by the Taliban.
It was the deadliest incident involving British troops since 2006, when a plane crash killed 14 service members during an operation in southern Afghanistan.
Separately, in the neighboring province of Kandahar, a suicide bomber riding a motorbike set off his explosives Wednesday at a crowded marketplace, killing four civilians including two children, local officials said.
The mid-morning attack at Spin Boldak, on Afghanistan's border with Pakistan, also wounded eight people including a border policeman, said Javel Faisal, a spokesman for the Kandahar provincial government.
"Most of the victims were passengers travelling between Afghanistan and Pakistan," said Faisal. "There were no foreign soldiers nearby." He said the wounded were rushed to a hospital in Spin Boldak.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the blast, which bore the hallmarks of a Taliban attack. Kandahar province is the birthplace of the Taliban movement and has long been one of the most restive areas of Afghanistan.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai described the incident as "a terrorist attack" carried out by the enemies of Afghanistan, and said it was "an act against both Islam and humanity."
Marine Gen. John R. Allen, commander of the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan, said in a statement that "the blatant murdering of Afghan civilians" must stop.
"The Taliban leadership needs to hold their own members accountable for their actions against the innocent," Allen said.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Mar 17 12 3:55 PM

So six Brits died . Oh well, shit happens.

I wonder how many they killed during their tour before finally being put out of the killing business

Quote    Reply   

shablon

fanatic

#6 [url]

Mar 21 12 7:51 PM

I remember the scramble to get out of Vietnam. There were not enough choppers to get all the people out, and there was no room to store the choppers on the deck of the ships, so they just pushed them overboard. The storage sheds of Kam Rahn held billions of dollars of everything from foodstuffs, to complete crated airplanes. Vietnamese auctioned them off. It took two years to get rid of stuff. Now that they are obviously running from Afghanistan, there are no ships to take the troops out. The only way out is through Uzbekistan and Russia by train. What a mess!

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Mar 22 12 3:19 PM

I told how to get abandoned GI equipment and save it for your own use. How to drain the electrolyte out of a hummer battery and save the battery for use years later. and more.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Mar 23 12 11:47 AM

Shablon! Studebaker went out of business over 65 years ago.  Where are you going to use all those

Studebaker differentials? 

Maybe you can make small tag along trailers to pull behind a car out of them.

I was thinking along the lines of the locals over in the war zone and what a bounty of useful things they will have after the invaders leave.

First thing they will find a usable Humvee chassis and rebuild it with cannibalized parts. Thats when the scavaging and storage of parts for future use comes in.

Tires, battery, radiator, alternator and belts, come to mind as the first things that need replaced.  Also lubricants and oils need to be squirreled away for future needs. 

Get some extra batteries and drain the electrolyte out and save it in a glass or crock container (it's sulfuric acid)  rinse the battery out with distilled water  and drain it and let it dry store it in a dry place with the caps off and upside down till you need it.  Several years later  just put the electrolyte back in and charge the battery and it's ready to go.

Quote    Reply   

shablon

fanatic

#12 [url]

Mar 23 12 1:38 PM

I know, but Bandiana RAEME depot has about 2,000 of them stored three high on pallets, and replacement parts are hard to come by. Nobody wanted those diffs, not even Kasshoghis.US used to have some old Studebakers in Vietnam and kept spare parts in Can Rahm for them. Probably by now Ozzies are probably selling them. They also had hundreds of old Bren gun carriers, useless little tank powered by a flat head Ford. And darling little Willys jeeps. I owned one for years for outback. In the end I took the body off had it repainted, reapholstered, and collectors begged me to sell it to them

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Mar 23 12 1:48 PM

Very interesting Shablon, I'm sure you will find a profitable way to dispose of them. 

Just for fun you might check the price of them as scrap iron as a backup plan.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help